NutraIngredients-USA chair Stephen Daniells, PhD Editor-in-Chief kicked off a 3-day IPA World Congress + Probiota Americas 2020 Digital Summit on November 10.
As anyone who works in the prebiotic/probiotic arena is well aware, the rate of change in this field is dizzying. New research, novel applications, updated regulations and innovations in delivery (both physical and informational) demand close attention and thoughtful responses. The presentations and dynamic panel discussions offered honest exchanges about both the challenges and opportunities stakeholders face today.
A fascinating array of topics presented by experts in the field was offered. A live Q&A session between the panel members, keynote speaker and chair ended each day’s sessions.
Day 1: November 10, 2020
New Horizons for Prebiotics & Probiotics
Rodolphe Barrangou, PhD, Professor of Probiotics at North Carolina State University presented on Implementing the CRISPR craze in probiotics: genome editing for next-generation microbial solutions.
Ewa Hudson of Lumina Intelligence shared data and insights on Non-classic probiotics in Americas – market overview.
A panel discussion chaired by Stephen Daniells, PhD of NutraIngredients-USA discussed the past, present and future of prebiotics & probiotics.
Daniel Ramon Vidal, VP, Research & Development, Health & Wellness, ADM
- Dr. Jens Walter, Professor of Ecology, Food, and the Microbiome, APC Microbiome Ireland
- Ewa Hudson, Director of Insights, Lumina Intelligence
- Justin Green, PhD, Director of Scientific Affairs, EpiCor, Cargill Health Technologies
- Oscar Tirado Acevedo, PhD, Senior Scientist, The Procter & Gamble Company
- Rodolphe Barrangou, PhD, Professor in Prebiotics Research, North Carolina State University
Delivering the goods: Fermenting microorganisms to produce postbiotic metabolites for gut and immune health was then presented by Justin Green, PhD, from EpiCor.
Day 2: November 11, 2020
New Interventions for Prebiotics & Probiotics
Dr. Gerard Clarke, Lecturer at APC Microbiome Ireland offered insights on The Microbiota-Gut-Brain Axis, brain function and behavior: New Therapeutic Opportunities.
A panel discussion chaired by Stephen Daniells, PhD of NutraIngredients-USA discussed exciting new benefits that drive innovations in prebiotics & probiotics.
- Dr. Gerard Clarke, Lecturer and Principal Investigator, APC Microbiome Ireland
- Dr. Gregory Leyer, PhD, Chief Scientific Officer, UAS Laboratories
- Dr. Mal Evans, Chief Scientific Officer, KGK Science
- Jonathan Scheiman, Co-Founder & CEO, FitBiomics
- Margaret Haldeman, Senior Scientific Leader, Global Probiotics R&D, Culturelle Probiotics
Dr. Adam Baker, Director of Science at Chr.Hansen along with Dr. Gregory Leyer, PhD, Chief Scientific Officer at UAS Laboratories presented Science- backed Probiotics for new applications in the microbiome era.
To cap off day two, a fun VIRTUAL RUN kept with past onsite conference traditions. One lucky runner snagged a $100 Amazon gift card by posting an action photo to social media with the hashtag #probiota.
Day 3: November 12, 2020
Opportunities to better communicate the benefits of Probiotics & Prebiotics
Ara Katz, Co-Founder & CEO of Seed Health and the chair of the summit Stephen Daniells, PhD of NutraIngredients-USA discussed the opportunities and pitfalls of current communication and engagement strategies in relating new benefits that drive innovations in prebiotics & probiotics.
Dr. Daniells chaired a panel including:
- Diane Alexander, PhD, North America Sales Director, Probi
- George Paraskevakos, Executive Director, IPA
- Gregor Reid, Professor of Surgery, and Microbiology & Immunology, Western University
- Ivan Wasserman, Managing Partner, Amin Talati Wasserman
- Vaughn Dubow, Marketing Manager, Capsules & Health Ingredients, Lonza
Ralf Jaeger, PhD, Co-Founder and Partner at Increnovo then shared new information in his presentation titled Probiotics for Performance: Can Novel Strains Make Better Athletes?
Extras for everyone
If you were able to attend, you may access the bonus link highlighted by Ivan Wasserman’s comedy routine and Stephen Daniell’s poetry — impressive range —and also with loads of interesting interviews and segments with other experts.
If you were unable to attend, don’t despair. The entire summit with downloadable materials is available on-demand. It’s all free but registration is required. Don’t miss out!
And a special shout-out of appreciation to the generous sponsors:
Lonza/ Capsugel, CHR Hansen/UAS Labs and EpiCor
ADM, KGK Science, Probi
Deerland, Floradapt Kaneka, Ganeden, Gnosis, Morinaga, Probiotical,
In association with the International Probiotics Association
Coming up next, hopefully face-to-face:
June 16 – 18, 2021 at Crystal Gateway Marriott, Washington D.C.